Ottawa Ontario – Course Information
If you give us 3 hours of your time for 3 to 11 sessions, we will provide you with opportunities to realize your full potential in both business and social spheres by developing your skills in:
- public speaking
- communication, and
In doing so we will boost your confidence and help you succeed in life! CLC Ottawa offers three courses named CLC1 “Christopher Leadership Course Level 1”, APC “Advanced Presentations Course”, and TWC “The Weekend Course”. Here are some of the things you will learn from these courses:
The CLC Level 1 course is a 11 week course based on adult learning principles. Each week, instructors present a different area of focus. Every student practices every skill in a positive and supportive workshop setting, with personal coaching. In CLC courses, you learn by doing!
- How to organize a talk – Learning how to organize and deliver dynamic and memorable presentations
- Speech reading – Practicing the do’s and don’ts for reading
- Speaking with an exhibit – Learning how exhibits can enhance your presentations
- Introducing and thanking speakers – Setting the stage and make a presenter feel welcome
- Presenting and accepting gifts – Making the recipient feel honored at their next retirement, going-away, birthday, anniversary, or other special event
- Impromptu speeches – Using techniques to speak effectively with little preparation
- Memory techniques – Ways to remember key presentation points, and people’s names
- Eliminating “hems and haws” from your speech – Becoming a more polished professional
- Effective delivery – Learn how to use eye contact, gestures, posture and vocal intonation to enhance your message
- Adding KEY ingredients to your talk – Making your talk come alive!
- Realizing your leadership talents by focusing on these attributes:
- Being Positive
- Being Involved
- Embracing Change
- Taking time to celebrate life
APC – Advanced Presentations Course
Prerequisite: You must have graduated from an introductory CLC1 or TWC course to take this course.
In this course, which builds on skills learned in CLC1, students further develop their communication skills and self-confidence, with an emphasis on the use of audio and visual presentation aids. There is plenty of fun, but the course is presented in a more professional style with students and instructors seated around the same table.
The presentation techniques covered in this 5-week course (3 hours, one night each week) include:
- Presentations using PowerPoint and other audio and visual aids
- Fielding Questions
- Interview techniques
- Non-verbal communication
- Persuasive skills, sales talks, and debates
Some of the benefits you could achieve by taking this course:
- Add interest to your presentations
- Communicate with greater confidence
- Have greater influence in groups
- Be more polished at meetings and in front of groups
- Be better prepared for interviews
- Turn questions from interruptions to assets in your presentations
Take your presentation skills to the next level with Advanced Presentations.
TWC – The Weekend Course
The Weekend Course covers selected techniques from both the CLC1 course and the Advanced Presentations Course, in a condensed single-weekend format (Friday evening, Saturday morning and afternoon, Sunday graduation lunch) suitable for anyone whose time is limited, especially people who will be speakers at business meetings, and special occasions such as wedding or anniversaries. Its smaller class size (about half as many students as CLC1) allows us to move at a faster pace while still giving every student friendly individual coaching for every new skill.
Learn to confidently construct and deliver a speech to get your point across in two minutes or less, plus:
- how to warm up before a speech,
- introduce a person,
- give a toast,
- present an award,
- work with microphones,
- and more, all in a fun, de-stressing, supportive setting.
Like our other courses, TWC is hands-on. Every student practices each technique in front of the group, and receives friendly, personal coaching from our trained instructors.
If you find public speaking scary, you may wish to take the full CLC1 course, which offers even more opportunities to practice speaking and build your confidence. But if one weekend is all you can manage, TWC will teach you the key techniques you need to speak effectively – at a special event and elsewhere.
- The Annual General Meeting of The Lumen Institute October 13-15, 2017 at the Waterfront Hotel, Burlington, Ontario 2020 Lakeshore Road, Burlington ON L7R 4G8 Tel: (905) 681-5400 Fax: (905) 681-5410 Waterfront Hotel Website Hosted by the Hamilton Area Christophers Download the Registration Form REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT DEADLINE: …Read More »
- The spring board meeting of the Lumen Institute was held April 7 to 9, 2017 at the Nav Canada Centre in Cornwall, Ontario. President Tom O’Neill, Past-President Dave Scott, Vice President Natalie Neville, Executive Secretary Matthew Rennick, Treasurer Laurence Tyler and Directors Mike Lee, Marcel Soucy, Regina Antonio and Lynn …Read More »
- Are you afraid of speaking in public? Most people are. We have videos to show you how you can discover the joy of public speaking. Watch Now!Read More »
- CLC National is a registered charity through its national Lumen Organization (# 125304527RR0001). We are looking for your support. Tax receipts provided for donations greater than $25.Read More »