Ottawa Ontario – Course Information
If you give us 3 hours of your time for 4 to 11 sessions, we will help you to realize your full potential in both business and social spheres by developing your skills in:
- public speaking
CLC Ottawa offers three courses: CLC1 “Christopher Leadership Course Level 1”, APC “Advanced Presentations Course”, and ESW “Effective Speaking Workshop”. We welcome anyone who is at least 15 years old (or Grade 9) to take our courses.
CLC1 Introductory Course
The CLC Level 1 course is a 9 or 11 week course based on adult learning principles. Each week, instructors present a different area of focus. Every student practices every skill in a positive and supportive workshop setting, with personal coaching. In CLC courses, you learn by doing!
- How to organize a talk – Learning how to organize and deliver dynamic and memorable presentations
- Speech reading – Practicing the do’s and don’ts for reading
- Speaking with an exhibit – Learning how exhibits can enhance your presentations
- Introducing and thanking speakers – Setting the stage and make a presenter feel welcome
- Presenting and accepting gifts – Making the recipient feel honored at their next retirement, going-away, birthday, anniversary, or other special event
- Impromptu speeches – Using techniques to speak effectively with little preparation
- Memory techniques – Ways to remember key presentation points, and people’s names
- Eliminating “hems and haws” from your speech – Becoming a more polished professional
- Effective delivery – Learn how to use eye contact, gestures, posture and vocal intonation to enhance your message
- Adding KEY ingredients to your talk – Making your talk come alive!
- Realizing your leadership talents by focusing on these attributes:
- Being Positive
- Being Involved
- Embracing Change
- Taking time to celebrate life
APC – Advanced Presentations Course
Prerequisite: You must have graduated from an introductory Christopher Leadership course to take this course.
In this course, which builds on skills learned in our introductory courses, students further develop their communication skills and self-confidence, with an emphasis on the use of audio and visual presentation aids. There is plenty of fun, but the course is presented in a more professional style with students and instructors seated around the same table.
The presentation techniques covered in this 6-week course (2.5 hours, one night each week) include:
- Presentations using PowerPoint and other audio and visual aids
- Fielding Questions
- Interview techniques
- Non-verbal communication
- Persuasive skills, sales talks, and debates
Some of the benefits you could achieve by taking this course:
- Add interest to your presentations
- Communicate with greater confidence
- Have greater influence in groups
- Be more polished at meetings
- Be better prepared for interviews
- Turn questions from interruptions to assets in your presentations
Take your presentation skills to the next level with Advanced Presentations.
ESW – Effective Speaking Workshop
In just 3 Saturday morning classes and a Sunday graduation lunch (included, and required to graduate) this hands-on small-group workshop prepares you to speak more effectively to any audience.
Learn to confidently construct and deliver a speech to get your point across in two minutes or less, plus:
- how to warm up before a speech,
- introduce a person,
- read written material more effectively
- present an award,
- and more, all in a fun, de-stressing, supportive setting.
Like our other courses, ESW is hands-on. Every student practices every skill in front of the group, and receives friendly, personal coaching from our team of trained instructors.
If you find public speaking scary, you may wish to take the full CLC1 course, which offers even more opportunities to practice speaking and build your confidence. But if your time is limited, this workshop will teach you the key techniques you need to speak effectively.
Can’t commit to 3 Saturday mornings? From time to time we hold ESW on a single weekend (Friday evening, Saturday morning and afternoon, Sunday lunch). Sign up for our free “Get Informed” mailing list.
- Report Sent to Huron-Perth Christophers by area chair Steve Pinney: Good day to all Huron-Perth Christophers!! This past weekend, October 13 to 15 it was my privilege to once again represent the Huron-Perth Area at the Lumen Annual General Meeting in Burlington Ontario. The hosts, Hamilton Area, were also celebrating …Read More »
- The Annual General Meeting of The Lumen Institute October 13-15, 2017 at the Waterfront Hotel, Burlington, Ontario 2020 Lakeshore Road, Burlington ON L7R 4G8 Tel: (905) 681-5400 Fax: (905) 681-5410 Waterfront Hotel Website Hosted by the Hamilton Area Christophers Download the Registration Form REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT DEADLINE: …Read More »
- The spring board meeting of the Lumen Institute was held April 7 to 9, 2017 at the Nav Canada Centre in Cornwall, Ontario. President Tom O’Neill, Past-President Dave Scott, Vice President Natalie Neville, Executive Secretary Matthew Rennick, Treasurer Laurence Tyler and Directors Mike Lee, Marcel Soucy, Regina Antonio and Lynn …Read More »
- Are you afraid of speaking in public? Most people are. We have videos to show you how you can discover the joy of public speaking. Watch Now!Read More »
- CLC National is a registered charity through its national Lumen Organization (# 125304527RR0001). We are looking for your support. Tax receipts provided for donations greater than $25.Read More »